Undergraduates in their senior year or graduates holding a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university may apply for admission to the Communication Studies program. Undergraduates must complete their bachelor's degree prior to entering the program.
Fall Semester Enrollment:
International Students: January 8
Domestic Students: Review of applications begins February 6, with consideration given through March 17.
Spring Semester Enrollment:
The Department of Communication Studies does not currently offer a “spring start” option for the full-time MA program. However, if you are a local (Manhattan/Ft. Riley area) student interested in a part-time Spring start, please contact the department.
All applicants will complete the Kansas State University online graduate school application. To start the online application process, click here.
Those seeking admittance to the Communication Studies MA program must upload the following materials with their online application. Incomplete files will not be considered. Please include:
• Transcripts. You must attach a scanned copy (PDF preferred) of the official transcript(s) from each college or university where you received your bachelor's degree(s) and completed any post baccalaureate course work or degrees. Please be aware that printouts from university student portals are not considered a copy of your official transcript.
If you are admitted, you will be required to submit an official transcript for GPA and degree conferral verification from the institution(s) where you received your degree(s) and completed any post-baccalaureate credits.
• Three Letters of Recommendation. Letters should specifically address your ability to succeed in graduate school, and we strongly prefer that your letters come from former professors. If you are applying for a graduate teaching assistantship, your letters should also address your character, maturity, and potential for teaching. Letters must be sent directly from the recommender. When completing the online form, applicants will submit the name and email addresses of three recommenders. Recommenders will then submit letters directly to Kansas State per instructions emailed to them.
• 1000-word Statement of Objectives. A statement should explain your academic and professional background, reasons for applying to the MA program in Communication Studies, areas of research interest, and how the MA degree will help you achieve your professional goals.
• Academic Writing Sample. Hard copy of a substantial piece of academic writing, such as a final paper written for a college course.
• A resume or curriculum vitae. If also applying for a graduate teaching assistantship, highlight experience or training that shows your potential for teaching.
For more details on international admissions, please refer to the Graduate School webpage. In addition to the material listed above, international applicants must also submit the following:
• Affidavit of financial support form. Please download the form in Word or PDF and return the completed from with your online application.
• English proficiency score. If your native language is not English, you must submit scores from the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE. Because most of our graduate courses are discussion-based, the department will evaluate scores on speaking as well as reading, writing, and listening.
Graduate Teaching Assistant applicants:
Students wishing to be considered for a graduate teaching assistantship should indicate their interest on the online Graduate School application. There, students will be asked to detail any experience or training that demonstrates potential for teaching.
If you plan to apply for a debate or forensics coaching position, please contact the appropriate team director to express your interest: